Oregonian 7 Art Exhibitions To View This Fall
Kelly Saxton, Weeds on view September 7-29.
BY BRIANA MILLER
New paintings by Portland-based artist Kelly Saxton exude a bewitching lushness. With titles like “Weed Ball” and “Looking out my back door at weeds,” they get to the heart of Saxton’s practice of closely examining the near-at-hand natural world. Works like “Crocosmia,” an abstracted close-up of the flowering plant, is almost gothic in its deep greenness cut with a shot of vermillion. Saxton’s larger canvases will be paired with new work from her bark series. In these, layered mixed-media panes with carefully built-up then degraded surfaces reveal undercoats of rust, ochre, blue and lichen green and give the sensation of being within an eyeball’s distance of their namesake.
About the GalleryRoll-Up is an artist-run contemporary exhibition space. We are not currently accepting submissions. If you'd like to receive exhibition announcements, please contact us to be added to our list.
HoursClosed in October in preparation for Books & Boxes show opening November 9.
- Oregonian 7 Art Exhibitions To View This Fall
- Willamette Week 5 shows in January 2017
- Willamette Week Favorite Shows June 1-7
- KPTV Good Day Oregon
- Classical, Formal, Rigorous: the Collages of Eunice Parsons
- The Southeast Examiner – Eunice Parsons
- Portland Monthly – Five Shows Not to Miss
- Oregon ArtsWatch – Leaping Darkness
- Oregonian – Under the Wire