Oregonian 7 Art Exhibitions To View This Fall
Kelly Saxton, Weeds on view September 7-29.
BY BRIANA MILLER
New paintings by Portland-based artist Kelly Saxton exude a bewitching lushness. With titles like “Weed Ball” and “Looking out my back door at weeds,” they get to the heart of Saxton’s practice of closely examining the near-at-hand natural world. Works like “Crocosmia,” an abstracted close-up of the flowering plant, is almost gothic in its deep greenness cut with a shot of vermillion. Saxton’s larger canvases will be paired with new work from her bark series. In these, layered mixed-media panes with carefully built-up then degraded surfaces reveal undercoats of rust, ochre, blue and lichen green and give the sensation of being within an eyeball’s distance of their namesake.
About the GalleryRoll-Up is an artist-run contemporary exhibition space. We are not currently accepting submissions. If you'd like to receive exhibition announcements, please contact us to be added to our list.
HoursClosed for the summer.
- Oregonian, Spooky Side of Art
- Oregonian 7 Art Exhibitions To View This Fall
- Willamette Week 5 shows in January 2017
- Willamette Week Favorite Shows June 1-7
- KPTV Good Day Oregon
- Classical, Formal, Rigorous: the Collages of Eunice Parsons
- The Southeast Examiner – Eunice Parsons
- Portland Monthly – Five Shows Not to Miss
- Oregon ArtsWatch – Leaping Darkness
- Oregonian – Under the Wire